During the day, dogs lead an active lifestyle: they play, run around at home, go for walks, and then they sleep. Dogs sleep more than humans. Adult dogs sleep for 12-14 hours a day, while puppies sleep about 18-20 hours a day. Nevertheless, at any age, a dog may face problems with sleep. In this article we will review the reasons causing insomnia in dogs and how to teach your dog to sleep at night.
To start with, you need to create a dedicated place for your dog to rest and sleep. A couch, a blanket, a cage, a dog cage cover and other accessories will help to create a comfortable place for the pet.
What are the causes of insomnia?
- Stress of moving — moving houses can negatively affect the dog’s sleep. Usually the adaptation takes about a week, then the puppy gets used to it and sleep returns to normal.
- Inactive dogs — the lack of physical activity can also cause insomnia. In this case, the pet does not have the opportunity to release the accumulated energy, which will also hinder quality sleep.
- Health problems — the cause of insomnia can be various ailments. If your dog whines, sleeps poorly or has other symptoms, this is a reason to contact a veterinarian, as the cause of insomnia may lie in health problems.
- Temperature — if the room is too hot or too cold, it can also interfere with your pet’s sleep.
- Hunger — if the feeding regime is incorrect, the puppy may have problems sleeping. They can wake up at night from hunger.
How to teach a puppy to sleep at night?
- Organize a physical activity for the dog, so that by the evening the dog will be tired, which will make it much easier for them to fall asleep.
- Do not play active games right before bedtime — this can over excite the dog’s nervous system and provoke insomnia.
- Feed your pet about 3 hours before bedtime. If you feed them later, then while sleeping, the dog may wake up because they need to go to the bathroom.
- Organize a cozy corner for the dog. You can buy a cage and equip it with a cage cover, a cushion, a bumper and your dog’s favorite toys.
You can buy all the necessary accessories for your dog on sainternie.com. In the catalog you will find dog beds, cage covers, blankets for dogs, bumpers, and many other products. Saint Ernie accessories are handmade of high-quality fabrics in compliance with all standards. They are stylish and will fit neatly into any home interior.