Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) is a form of therapy that is important in helping women deal with menopausal symptoms. HRT works by balancing the levels of oestrogen and progesterone around the time women reach menopause. Some types of the therapy contain both oestrogen and progesteronehttp://www.aresoncpa.com while some only contain oestrogen. In a few caseshttp://www.aresoncpa.com testosterone may also be used.
Some facts about Hormonal Replacement Therapy
There are some few things about the therapy that you should know before delving right into the benefits of treatment. Some of the key facts are:
- Any woman who opts for HRT should ensure that she first seeks professional advice from a physician who is well acquainted with her medical history.
- The therapy can effectively reduce any risk of osteoporosis as well as the incidence and severity of hot flashes.
- It is quite an efficient method of relieving symptoms of menopause and perimenopause.
- It has the ability to keep your skin looking young. Howeverhttp://www.aresoncpa.com in doing sohttp://www.aresoncpa.com it does not delay or reverse the possible effects of ageing.
- Some studies link it to certain cancershttp://www.aresoncpa.com but the increased risk is small and the benefits typically outweigh the risks.
Who should not use Hormonal Replacement Therapy?
The therapy may not be suitable for women who have a history of:
- Endometrialhttp://www.aresoncpa.com breasthttp://www.aresoncpa.com or ovarian cancer.
- Thrombosis or blood clots.
- Heart disease.
- High blood pressure or uncontrolled hypertension.
- Severe migraines.
Common types of Hormonal Replacement Therapy
The commonly known associated therapies include:
- Local oestrogen: It includes creamshttp://www.aresoncpa.com rings or vaginal tablets that are important in relieving urogenital problems.
- Continuous therapy: Most efficient for women in the post-menopause phase by taking a combination of progesterone and oestrogen continuouslyhttp://www.aresoncpa.com usually in the form of tablet medication.
- Sequential or cyclical therapy: Most suitable for women in the menstruation phase but who are experiencing perimenopausal symptoms.
Benefits of HRT for women
As a woman approaches menopausehttp://www.aresoncpa.com her ovaries will produce less progesterone and oestrogenhttp://www.aresoncpa.com which are critical in controlling her monthly cycles. The hormones are especially important since they affect the health of a woman’s heart and bones. The following are some of the reasons why women should consider Hormonal Replacement Therapy.
- Relieving menopausal pains: The therapy is instrumental in relieving any menopausal pains. It typically helps to relieve menopausal vasomotor symptoms like night sweats and flusheshttp://www.aresoncpa.com psychological issues like irritability and mood swingshttp://www.aresoncpa.com and genitourinary symptoms like urinary frequency and vaginal dryness. Thereforehttp://www.aresoncpa.com for any woman that is experiencing such symptomshttp://www.aresoncpa.com the therapy will go a long way in improving her quality of life.
- Prevention and treatment of osteoporosis: The therapy is also an effective option in preventing and treating osteoporosis. Some recent evidence suggests that a low-dose administration of HRT for just three years around the time of menopause can significantly reduce the likelihood of osteoporotic fractures.
- Oestrogen also has positive effects on surrogate markers: This is especially so for coronary heart disease like the metabolic risk factors and other elements of vascular functions. There are significant studies and evidence collected from observational surveys that prove that use of the therapy is highly associated with the reduction of coronary heart disease risk. Howeverhttp://www.aresoncpa.com it is not explicitly known whether HRT is a benefit or a risk for coronary heart disease because some random clinical trials of the therapy have been inconclusive regarding the reduction of coronary events.
Other benefits of the therapy include:
- Lowering the chances of dementia.
- Making sexual intercourse less painful.
- Reducing the likelihood heart disease.
- Helping women sleep better at night.